Sunday, June 3, 2007

Team Rigel Training Ride

The biking side of Team Rigel had our first official training ride over Memorial Day weekend on Orcas Island. Henry was on his brand new bike, and I took on some brand new hills that I never thought I could tackle! The Orcas Hills proved a great learning experience for me. I finally got over the fear of some major hills over that weekend.



With my mom's recent diagnosis and the passing of Frank still so fresh, I climb and ride with their pain in mind. I've learned to push myself farther than I could have imagined. I can barely imagine their pain and the pain that all who have suffered with cancer have gone through. I can still breathe, many big deep breaths. As I climbed, I listened closely to my breathing. In. Out. In. Out. Trying to keep the rhythm steady and pedal consistently. With each breath in and out, I repeat, "Not. Scared. Not. Scared. Not Scared." My new mantra. So far, it's working.

-SLR

No comments: